The Joint Committees of the A&SL and HSLG held a Joint Christmas Networking Evening in the Royal Irish Academy on Wednesday 10th December 2008.
The theme for this year’s event was ‘Commemorating the LAI’s 80th Anniversary: Celebrating Librarians Past, Present and Future’.
The Joint Committees hosted a Drinks Reception from 6pm. Beatrice Doran (past-president of the LAI and formerly Librarian of the RCSI) had kindly accepted our invitation to speak on this year’s theme at 6.30pm.
The aim of our Informal Networking Evenings is to provide members with the opportunity to meet other librarians and information professionals, and to share news, views and experiences.
Where: The Royal Irish Academy, 19 Dawson St, Dublin 2.
When: Wednesday, 10th December @ 6pm
We had a small collection for charity on the night.
Academic & Special Libraries Section
We updated membership database and new discussing/mailing list
THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY WHO HAS RESPONDED!
Academic & Special Libraries Section
Informal Networking Evenings
THIS EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED! PLEASE JOIN US IN THE PUB INSTEAD!
The Committee of the A&SL Section is delighted to announce that the next event in the series of informal networking evenings is a visit to the refurbished
Library & Business Information Centre in the UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School
Followed by refreshments in Jack O’Rourke’s, Main St. Blackrock. Co. Dublin.
The aim of the Informal Networking Evenings is to provide you with an opportunity to meet other librarians and information professionals, to share news, views and experiences.
Where & When:
Thursday, 28 August 2008 at 6pm.
UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School, Carysfort Avenue, Blackrock, Co.Dublin.
RSVP Eva Hornung email@example.com by Tuesday, 26 August 2008
The committee of the Academic & Special Libraries Section of the LAI is currently working on a project to update our membership database. A member of the committee will be contacting each of you by email or letter in the coming weeks to update your contact details. We would very much appreciate your assistance with this.
The Annual General Meeting of the A&SL Section will take place on
Thursday, 26 June 2008 at 6.30pm
in the Royal Irish Academy, 19 Dawson Street, Dublin 2.
Gráinne MacLochlainn will deliver a presentation on “Developing Digital Strategies to Improve Access”.
Gráinne is Assistant Keeper, Services & Systems in The National Library of Ireland.
The A&SL Committee will host a Reception at 6pm.
Please RSVP to Erin O’Mahony (Secretary) by 25 June 2008. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chairperson’s welcome & introduction
- Minutes & matters arising of the 2007 AGM
- Secretary’s Report – Review of the Year
- Treasurer’s Report
- A&SL Rules & Procedures Document for Approval
- Announcement of Committee & Officers for 2008/2009
- Guest Speaker – Gráinne MacLochlainn (NLI)
The Academic & Special Libraries Section of the LAI are delighted to announce details of their annual seminar:
- FULLY BOOKED! -
Academic & Special Libraries Section Annual Seminar 2008
Clarion Hotel, IFSC, Dublin – Thursday, 8th May
Current practices and future trends in information skills training
EUR 150 for A&SL members
EUR 175 for LAI members
EUR 200 for non-members
But you can register for the conference here: www.regonline.co.uk/aslannualseminar2008
Invitation code: asl2008
A&SL are grateful to our sponsors for their generous support:
Library Ireland Week
· Careers Breakfast UCD SILS, Wednesday, 5 March 2008 8.30-10.00am. The event was an opportunity for current SILS students to hear about career opportunities and development possibilities from experienced Library and Information Professionals while enjoying a continental-style breakfast! Speakers: Ann O’Sullivan (Research Librarian, Houses of the Oireachtas and Academic & Special Libraries Section Chairperson); Kathryn Smith (Librarian, Dublin Dental Hospital and Academic & Special Libraries Section Treasurer); Jane Burns (Head of Library & Information Services, Irish Taxation Institute and Academic & Special Libraries Section Committee Member); Cathal McAuley (Head of Reader Services, UCD Library); and Arlene Healy (Sub-Librarian Science, Medicine, Engineering and Electronic Resources, Trinity College Library). Sponsored by the Academic & Special Libraries Section of the LAI.· Informal Networking Evening – CANCELLED!
The Committee of the A&SL Section is delighted to announce that the next event in the series of informal networking evenings will be held in Cork, as part of Library Ireland Week 2008, on Thursday, 6 March 2008. Brian McGee, Archivist, The Cork City and County Archives, will lead a tour of the new building and give a talk on his role as Archivist at 7pm. The A&SL Committee will host a Reception from 6.30pm. The aim of the Informal Networking Evenings is to provide members with the opportunity to meet other librarians and information professionals, to share news, views and experiences Where & When: RSVP to Olivia Fitzpatrick (A&SL) Olivia.Fitzpatrick@ucc.ie or Erin O’Mahony (Secretary, A&SL) email@example.com by Monday 3rd March. The Cork City and County Archives, Great William O’Brien Street, Blackpool, Cork