· Chairman : Eileen Morrissey, Wexford County Council
· Vice-Chairman : Helen Walsh, Clare County Council
· Hon-Secretary : Damien Dullaghan Tipperary County Council
· Hon-Treasurer: Brendan Martin, Wicklow County Council.
Definition & Membership
The County & City Librarians Section [hereafter CCLS] is a Section within the Library Association of Ireland [hereafter LAI]. It is a grouping of senior professional managers, who hold the post of City &/or County Librarian in situ or Acting, and who are personal members in good standing of the LAI.
The Section operates within the Code of Conduct of the LAI and values equality, respect for diversity of opinion, an ethos of excellence, articulation of positions based on evidence & research, and transparent decision-making.
Within the governance of the LAI, the purpose of the CCLS is
- To provide a professional, support network for county & city librarians in the Republic of Ireland, including a safe & confidential forum for discussion of issues and professional concerns;
- To act as a resource in determining developmental issues and to be a point of contact at a strategic level in relation to the status and development of public libraries;
- To lead the development of public libraries and public librarianship in Ireland including exercising influence and engaging in advocacy to represent public library interests to government, other organisations and the community as appropriate;
- To develop and promote high standards for public library and information services & to maintain the professional standing of librarianship in the public library / local government sector.
I. Organising such meetings, conferences, seminars, CPD and other functions as may promote the purposes of the Section;
II. Organising an AGM in line with the requirement of the Memorandum and Articles of Association of the LAI and submitting a report & records of activity annually to the LAI Council
III. Forming, collecting, collating, publishing & disseminating information of service or interest to the public library sector
IV. Pursuing opportunities to engage with and contribute to international and national issues that are relevant to the purposes of the Section