Literacy and Numeracy
In the Summer of 2011, The Department of Education and Skills published their new Literacy Strategy, Literacy and Numeracy for Life. The LAI was involved in the submission process for the development of this strategy. The strategy is a holistic approach to literacy development including preschools, schools, teachers, families, parents, libraries and other community services and supports.
In response to the objectives of the strategy that include the role of the library service in Ireland, the LAI established a the Literacy taskforce:
Taskforce Members are : Catherine Gallagher, Emer O’Brien [convenor], Laura Joyce (South Dublin County Libraries), Mary Reynolds (Longford County Library), Orla Níc Aodha (St. Patrick’s College, Drumcondra), Karyn Deegan (Wexford County Library), Joan Ward (LGMA).
Minister for Education and Skills, Ruairi Quinn launches Going Places with Books 2013 on Thursday 27th June in Rathmines Library. Courtesy of Jason Clarke Photography and the Irish Examiner.
- Taskforce members are working on preparing a set of Best Practice Guidelines to help libraries engage effectively with schools and pre-schools.
- Summer Reading Pilot – this could led to a national Summer Reading Template. Read the Summer Reading in Irish Libraries Report
- Read about the Summer Reading Buzz 2013. Six local authority library services are co-operating to promote Summer reading.
- Joan Ward of Libraries Development, LGMA has joined the taskforce and will link the LAI and LGMA thus facilitating communication with relevant Government Departments.
- List of Home School Liaison Coordinators is available from Emer O' Brien. – Help promote your library/ school services through your Home School Liaison Coordinators.
Literacy Task Force Documents and Reports
- Assessing the relationship between the public library service, early childcare providers and childcare committees in Ireland
- Best Practice in Literacy Development in Pre-schoolers in Ireland
- Literacy Task Force Report to the LAI Executive Board June 2012
- References to Library services in the Department of Education and Skills 2011 Report Literacy and Numeracy for Learning and Life
- Summer Reading in Irish Libraries - Report
- Universal Services Poster - Did you know all public libraries in Ireland offer you, your family and your child’s school the following services?
Some interesting news and photos