What is the President’s medal? The LAI President’s medal aims to recognise and celebrate an individual who, while not directly working in libraries, has an exceptional track record of promoting libraries and/or issues of interest or concern to libraries.
We invite LAI members, Groups and Sections to nominate an individual for the LAI President’s medal.
Who should you nominate? The LAI President’s medal aims to celebrate an individual who, while not directly working in libraries, has an exceptional track record of promoting libraries and/or issues of interest or concern to libraries. It might be an author, publisher, public figure, advocate or anyone who has furthered the goals of libraries or promoted issues of concern to libraries e.g. copyright reform, literacy, inclusion, reading etc. The person must be based in Ireland and should not be working in libraries or librarianship directly.
Who can nominate? Any member of the LAI, a Group, Section, Committee or Council of the LAI can nominate someone.
LAI members are asked to nominate an individual, not working directly in libraries, that they believe has made an exceptional contribution to libraries or issues of interest to libraries. To nominate someone, members are asked to complete an online form commenting on their nominee’s exceptional track record in three areas which will form the judging criteria:
1. Contribution to libraries
2. Contribution to issues of concern to libraries (please specify what the issues are)
3. Suitability as a recipient of the LAI President’s medal
You will be asked to give examples to explain why you think your nominee should receive the President’s medal under these headings.
Notes on Nomination Process:
1. All nominations are anonymous, nominees will not know who nominated them.
2. Only information included in the online nomination form can be considered by the judging panel. The judging panel is the Management Committee. The Management Committee will make a recommendation to Council for approval. Members nominating individuals are asked to put as much information as possible into the nomination form, maximum word count of 500 words for each criteria.
3. Only one awardee will be chosen each year. The medal will be offered to the top ranked nominee first and then other approved nominees in rank order in the event that a higher ranked nominee declines the award.
Completed online nomination forms must be completed by Midnight 16th February 2024.
The recipient will be announced at the Library Association of Ireland AGM.